I. Overview of Software
Moldex3D is the world leading CAE product for the plastics injection molding industry. With the best-in-class analysis technology, Moldex3D can help you simulate the widest application range of injection molding processes to optimize product design and manufacturability, shorten time-to-market, and maximize product ROI.
- CAD-Embedded Pre-Processing
- Superior Automatic 3D Mesh Engine
- High Resolution 3D Mesh Technology
- High Performance Parallel Computing
Moldex3D Mesh supports various mesh types, including 2D triangular and quadrilateral, 3D tetrahedral, prismatic, hexagonal, voxel (brick) and pyramid meshes. Several mainstream meshing methods are available in Moldex3D Mesh: pure triangle surface meshing, quadrilateral dominate surface meshing, pure tetra generation, boundary layer meshing, pure voxel meshing, hybrid meshing method and midplane mesh extraction. You can choose among them to create the mesh model depending on your specific simulation needs.
- A pre-processing tool with robust meshing technologies and different mesh elements to boost work efficiency in solid mesh preparation.
- Offer pure triangle surface meshing and quadrilateral dominate surface meshing Provide automatic tetra, boundary layer mesh, hybrid mesh, and voxel mesh generationEnable to generate very fine mesh for complicated 3D geometry.
- Provide auto-check and auto-fix tools to ensure the mesh quality for accuracy of analysis.
- The mesh input/output formats that are supported by Moldex3D Mesh are as follows.
II. Overview Software functions
1. eDesign Solution Package
Moldex3D eDesign offers designers an easy-to-use package to validate their designs behind the desk. The interactive interface, which facilitates the part and mold modeling and provides auto meshing technology, enables users to have efficient model preparation and also allows to work in CAD environment with no need for advanced CAD knowledge. The accurate 3D model allows you to obtain product insights, visualize flow and thermal properties, and optimize processes before physical parts are built. Moldex3D eDesign helps companies to design products with quality, reduce development costs, and shorten time to market.
- Model a part with complete runner and cooling systems within few clicks The pre-processer Designer provides an interactive interface for users to build their parts with ease. Wizard tools guide you through steps of develop melt delivery system including sprues, runners, and gates, and building coolant channels and moldbase, with automated error detection. The auto meshing tools simplify the model preparation and allow designers to validate designs efficiently.
- Perform 3D numerical analyses with accuracy The powerful 3D solution tackles complex injection molded parts with high reliability. Designers are able to obtain the in-depth appearance and detect potential defects from comprehensive analyses. The Material Database and Process Wizard allow users to easily iterate on design changes and optimize their processes in early stages.
- Generate reports automatically and present results in multiple ways Post-processing tools enable users to demonstrate molding process and product properties with real-time contours, graphs and animations. From the automatic report generator, you can benefit on quick reports and efficient communication. Moldex3D brings you confidence in your design and helps you in successful decision making.
2. Professional Solution Package
On top of eDesign Package, Moldex3D Professional Package offers all types of design tools for simulation. Users are able to obtain product insights and properties, and further to optimize processes before physical parts are built.
Professional Solution Package is added with 3D Coolant CFD to fulfill requirements for RHCM and Conformal Cooling analysis to bring more benefits and value to users. Designer BLM module with Non-Matching mesh technology is also added into preprocessing interface to facilitate the part and mold modeling, and auto meshing technology enables users to work in CAD with no need for advanced CAD knowledge. Moldex3D Professional Package helps companies to enhance design reliability, reduce development costs, and shorten time to market.
- Simple ways to build all kinds of models.
- Automatic eDesign meshing technology for 3D modeling
- Designer BLM with Non-Matching mesh topology technology
- Simulation results with figures and animations for more communication
Create a part with complete runner and cooling system within few clicks The 3D model pre-processor, Designer, provides an automatic interface for users to build their parts with ease. Wizard tools guide you through steps of creating melt deliver systems, cooling channels and moldbase, with automated issue advisor. The pre-processors simplify the model creation and allow designers to validate designs efficiently.
Perform 3D numerical analyses with accuracy 3D solvers tackle complex injection-molded parts with confidence and efficiency. Designers are able to obtain in-depth knowledge and detect potential defects from comprehensive analyses. The Material Database and Process Wizard assist users to easily iterate on design revisions and optimize their processes in early stages.
Generate reports automatically and present results in customized ways Post-processing tools enable users to demonstrate molding process and product properties with real-time contours, graphs and animation. From the automatic report generator, it benefits on quick reports and efficient communication. Moldex3D brings users design reliability and helps in successful decision making.
3. Advanced Solution Package
Moldex3D Advanced Package offers all users, from product and mold designers to advanced CAE experts, the ability to obtain the details of all types of designs, from thin-wall molded parts to complex models with fine features.
Advanced Solution Package provides 3D Coolant CFD to fulfill RHCM and Conformal Cooling requirements to bring more benefits and value to users. Designer BLM module with Non-Matching mesh technology is also added into preprocessing interface to facilitate the part and mold creation and auto meshing technology enable users to work in CAD with no need for advanced CAD knowledge.
In addition, the diversity and robustness of elements ensure the fidelity of solutions. Combining the advantages of 2.5D and 3D modeling, Moldex3D Advanced Package ensures the accurate and efficient performance for every design. Users are able to obtain product insights and properties, and further to optimize processes before physical parts are built. Moldex3D Advanced Package helps companies to design products with confidence, reduce development costs, and shorten time to market.
- Combining the advantage of both 2.5D and 3D modeling, efficient and accurate solutions are achieved
- Automatic eDesign meshing technology supported
- Automatic BLM with Non-Matching mesh topology technology supported
- Interactive 3D meshing supports high fidelity Boundary Layer Mesh (BLM), hybrid mesh, and versatile element types
- Results with figures and animations enhance communication
Build all kinds of models with complete runner and cooling systems Moldex3D Advanced Package provides a variety of meshing tools to build 2.5 D and 3D models that are precise and efficient. For conventional injection molded parts with big surface area and shell-like characteristics, Moldex3D Advanced Package provides meshing tools to build 2.5D mid-plane (shell) models that are fast and robust to solve. The 3D eDesign meshing provides an automatic workflow for users to build their parts with ease. Auto wizards guide you through steps of creating melt deliver systems, coolant channels and moldbases, with automated error detection.
Additionally, the robustness of various solid elements allows users to observe the detailed information of particular areas, including designed fine features and flow behavior around gates and corners. The pre-processors amplify the power of injection molding simulation, simplify the model creation and enable plastics engineers to innovate efficiently.
Perform both 2.5D and 3D numerical analyses with accuracy Moldex3D Advanced Package can simulate complex 2.5D models in minutes. In addition, its powerful 3D solvers tackle complex injection-molded parts with confidence and efficiency. Designers are able to obtain in-depth knowledge and detect potential defects from comprehensive analyses. The Material Database and Process Wizard assist users to easily iterate on design changes and optimize their processes in early stages.
Accurate analyses support versatile extensions for insightful process innovation Moldex3D Advanced Package tackles the complex injection molding process with high fidelity simulation results. Its powerful meshing algorithms allow fast calculations of conventional shell-like parts and efficient parallel computing of any complex 3D geometry. Furthermore, its flexible meshing capabilities enable versatile extension to advanced molding process for insightful process innovation. Its unique high performance parallel computing makes the true 3D simulations fast and efficient.
Generate reports automatically and present results in multiple ways Post-processing tools enable users to demonstrate molding process and product properties with real-time contours, graphs and animation. From the automatic report generator, you can benefit on quick reports and efficient communication. Moldex3D brings you confidence in your design and helps you in successful decision making.
5. IC Packaging
Plastic Chip Encapsulation is a molding process where chips are being capsulated with Epoxy Molding Compound (EMC) to prevent physical damage or corrosion. This process contains the interconnection between microchips and other electronics (so-called wire bonding), curing phenomenon of thermoset material, and various control management of process conditions. Due to the complexity of multiple material components, such as EMC, chip, or leadframe, and high wire density, many challenges and uncertainty have been brought to the Chip Encapsulation process. Common defects include incomplete fill, air traps, voids, wire sweep, paddle shift, package warpage, etc.
Moldex3D IC Packaging provides a complete series of molding solutions, and supports comprehensive solutions such as : Transfer Molding, Molded Underfill, Capillary Underfill (CUF), Compression Molding, Embedded Wafer Level Package (EMWLP), and No Flow Underfill (NFU) / Non Conductive Paste (NCP). Auto meshing function supports for user to complete encapsulation analysis more easily. User also can adopt advanced manual meshing for more complex component like undercut-shaped lead frame.
Moldex3D IC Packaging helps designers to fully analyze the chip encapsulation process from filling, curing, cooling, to advanced manufacturing demands, such as filler concentration, underfill encapsulation, post-molding curing, stress distribution, or structural evaluation. Significant molding problems can be predicted and solved upfront, which helps engineers enhance chip quality and prevent potential defects more efficiently. The accurate simulation also helps design optimization and well cost management.
IC Packaging Add-on
- Compression Molding simulates the compression molding process in which the polymer is squeezed into a preheated mold cavity. Moldex3D helps users check potential defects resulted from heat and pressure, decide appropriate materials, and optimize process conditions.
- Underfill simulates the compression molding process in which the polymer is squeezed into a preheated mold cavity. Moldex3D helps users check potential defects resulted from heat and pressure, decide appropriate materials, and optimize process conditions.
- Post Mold Cure (PMC) is a significant process in IC Packaging industry. This process exposes part of a mold to elevated temperatures in order to speed up the curing process and to optimize some physical properties of the material.
- Cadence Interface Moldex3D supports import Cadence 3di file. Designer could save the full model, including epoxy region, chips, leadframe, wire and solar ball, etc, as the 3di file. User could import the file directly and the geometries could be modified.
6. Solution Add-on
Series of add-ons for specific industrial part process simulation:
- SYNC brings a simulation-driven design environment. With its powerful analysis capabilities fully embedded in mainstream CAD software, CAD users can synchronize design changes and quickly validate plastic designs.See more
- CADdoctor enables multi-CAD data exchange, geometry simplification and verification, quality check, etc. CADdoctor helps users check and heal poor-quality BLM geometry, which will enhance mesh quality and analysis accuracy. See more
- Cooling Channel Designer (CCD) rovides a fast and intuitive workflow to build complex cooling system in Designer. Users can create conformal cooling channels automatically based on the contour of product.
Fiber Reinforced Plastics
- Fiber visualizes fiber orientation and calculates process-induced anisotropic thermo-mechanical properties for long and short fiber-reinforced plastics. Users can predict warpage distribution and evaluate part strength.
- Stress provides stress distribution for parts and part inserts. Users can set boundary conditions, such as stress or force, to evaluate the structure quality of plastics and predict potential breakage or deformation.
- FEA Interface provides a series of FEA Interface modules integrated with industrial leading structural software, including ABAQUS, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, Marc, Nastran, and Radioss. Users can export Fiber and Stress analysis results to calculate further structural performance.
- Digimat-RP help users to correctly design their fiber reinforced plastic parts. Users can quickly get an accurate material model of reinforced plastics and apply to FEA model for structure analysis with a streamline workflow.
- Micromechanics Interface (MMI) visualizes fiber orientation and calculates process-induced anisotropic thermo-mechanical properties for long and short fiber-reinforced plastics. Users can predict warpage distribution and evaluate part strength.
- Advanced Hot Runner visualizes the filling pattern and temperature distribution of hot runners and moldbase. Users can evaluate the heating efficiency and uniformity to optimize hot runner design.
- 3D Coolant CFD simulates the water flow in 3D cooling channels designed inside the cavity. Users can visualize the streamline direction and predict hot areas to improve the heat transfer, enhance part quality, and shorten cycle time.
- Optics analyzes flow- or thermally-induced optical performance of plastics, including birefringence, retardation, fringed orders, and fringed patterns. Moreover, the integration with CODE V provides non-uniform refractive index prediction.
- Viscoelasticity (VE) calculates viscosity and elasticity variations of plastic materials under different temperature conditions. Users can evaluate the effects on molecular orientation, residual stress, warpage, and optical properties.
DOE & Optimization
- Expert helps users evaluate the optimal process conditions, such as packing time, cooling time, or mold temperature. Moldex3D Expert creates analysis variations and provides graphical summaries automatically.
Special Molding processes
- Compression Molding (CM) simulates the compression molding process in which the polymer is squeezed into a preheated mold cavity. Moldex3D helps users check potential defects resulted from heat and pressure, decide appropriate materials, and optimize process conditions.
- Injection Compression Molding (ICM) Simulates the injection compression molding process, generally applied to thin and flat plastics, such as light guide plates or compact discs. Users can observe the compression process over time in cavity and evaluate material properties and process conditions.
- Powder Injection Molding (PIM) visualizes metal or ceramic molding process. Users can observe the fluid flow behavior of the feedstock, consisted of powder and binder, and predict potential defects. You also can evaluate the effects of shear rate and optimize process conditions.
- Gas-Assisted Injection Molding (GAIM) visualizes the melt flow behavior when gas is injected into the mold cavity through the melt entrance or other specific gas entrance. Users can predict typical GAIM issues, such as fingering effect, blow-through, or corner effect.
- Water-Assisted Injection Molding (WAIM) visualizes the dynamics of water-assisted injection molding process for hollow plastics. With the visualization of fluid penetration behavior inside the mold cavity, users can define the overflow region and optimize process conditions.
- Co-Injection Molding visualizes the sequential injection molding process of skin and core plastic materials. Users can decide plastic material pair to optimize the combination of two material properties. You also can predict potential breakthrough on part surface.
- Bi-Injection Molding visualizes the molding process of two materials being injected independently into a mold cavity. Users can define material type, set independent filling and packing parameters for each material, and observe the flow rate variation from two melt entrances.
- Foam Injection Molding simulates the nucleation and growth of microcellular bubbles when the melt flow is injected into a mold cavity. Moldex3D Foam Injection Molding helps users determine optimal processing parameters to eliminate potential defects and warpage problem.
- Resin Transfer Molding (RTM) utilize non-isothermal 3D analysis and visualize flow behaviors for various applications. Users can verify the influence of changing fiber mat type and orientation.
- PU Chemical Foaming Chemical Foaming Molding (CFM) is a molding process that full-fill the cavity with gas produced by chemical reactions.
CAE Professional Assistant
- iSLM is an intelligent simulation lifecycle management system that help CAE expertise to overcome these challenges. iSLM is a web-based system that enable multiple teams to access and easily find the correct data for solving specific issues that induced by manufacturing process.
- ScrewPlus provides prediction on melt volume and temperature distribution with the process-induced effect in the screw and barrel. Moldex3D ScrewPlus helps users evaluate the screw performance and improve flow analysis accuracy.