I. Overview of Software
JMAG is simulation software for electric device design and development. It accurately models the complex electromagnetic phenomena in a wide range of equipment.
Since being released in 1983, JMAG has been used in industries and universities world-wide and has contributed to the development of thousands of products. Continuous communication with our users has made JMAG a world class analysis tool.
It is our wish that JMAG continues to grow and develop with its users.
JMAG is developed by JSOL Corp. in Japan.
II. Overview Software functions
This is the high-speed, high-precision FEA software tool at the core of JMAG.
An intuitive interface and precise modeling technology with a wide variety of results displays are built in.
Multifaceted evaluation of various design ideas is made possible by freely manipulating geometry, material properties, and drive conditions.
- Solver See more
Solver speed is directly related to model accuracy and reliability. Finite element analysis comes down to solving very large matrices. JSOL has developed advanced techniques to solve thesematrices faster and produce more consistent results.
JMAG users have some of the most advanced solver algorithms at their fingertips, and can be certain that JSOL will continue to adopt the latest calculation architecture within JMAG.
- Mesher See more
It goes without saying that a high quality mesh is critical for a high precision analysis. JMAG gives users several options to create mesh: from automatic to manual mesh, users can choose the method that works best for them. The mesher within JMAG is both advanced and easy to use, which means that JMAG can generate optimal mesh for every type of analysis. We strive to develop automatic mesh generation technology by leveraging more than 30 years of FEA expertise and utilizing JMAG’s unique geometry recognition technology.
- Material See more
JSOL has developed par tnerships with material manufacturers to obtain the best possible data for JMAG’ s material database. Along with including stress dep e ndent magne tic prop er ties and iron l oss properties of electromagnetic steel sheets, we also continue work with our partners to provide data needed in advanced analyses.
- Modeling See more
JMAG leads the field in material modeling technology.
Fast, detailed modeling methods are developed based on our understanding of characteristics for magnetic steel sheets, magnets, and powdered metals. Many companies use JMAG to help develop new materials, which ensures JMAG is always capable of capturing precise material responses.
- Multiphysics See more
As computational power has increased, companies have started incorporating multiphysics models into their analyses. JMAG began offering this functionality to its users in 1994, when magnetic field/thermal coupled analysis functionality was implemented for induction heating device design. Since then, a considerable amount of development has taken place in the area of multiphysics.
With such a large variety of analysis domains and the complexity of modeling within each domain, JSOL has formed partnerships with CAE vendors in each analysis field with the goal of providing an easy to use platform from which to embark on multiphysics modeling.
- Optimization and Parametric/Automation See more
JMAG provides a variety of features to powerfully support optimized design. Large numbers of design proposals can be evaluated efficiently using JMAG’s parametric analysis and optimization functions. In addition, results analysis and sensitivity analysis functions offer points where design can be improved.
- Model Based Development See more
JMAG-RT enables model based development with high concurrency, allowing plant design and control design to be performed concurrently. JMAG-RT is a system which generates high-fidelity plant models (JMAG-RT models) in a system level simulation from FEA models. From system design, to ECU verification using HILS, JMAG-RT has a wide range of uses.
- Customization See more
A flexible framework is provided allowing the user to customize JMAG to his needs. Being able to use scripts and user subroutines, analysis and results analysis with the use of the user’s own algorithms can be performed. In addition, a geometry library and templates facilitate in creating desired geometries.
- Guideline See more
Easy-to-use for the beginner, useful for the expert, this is the user interface JMAG is aiming for.
JMAG-Express is a motor design tool.
Instantly calculates the motor performance as a calculator and provides design sheets to meet its requirements.
It enables to review all design changes accumulated in JMAG-Express at any time just as though you were referring to design memos. See more
Freely define geometry templates
- Templates for PMSMs, induction motors, brush motors, and universal motors have all been prepared.
- You can add geometries created in JMAG-Designer as templates.
- Use JMAG-Designer for brush motors and universal motors.
- Built-in database - You can search for model data by design parameters, output, and design date from a wealth of design proposals.
- JMAG-Express will recommend a geometry and drive conditions if you simply enter the minimum output expected of the motor.
- Of course, you can also narrow down the geometry and drive conditions by entering more information.
An extensive material database
- JMAG-Express has approximately 730 types of characteristics data built-in, just like JMAG-Designer.
- Precise material designs are completed by selecting the material name.
- Geometry, materials, windings, and drive conditions can be entered as parameters, which enables characteristics evaluations.
- Multiple designs can be easily compared.
- Running the analysis remotely - You can use an external calculation server.
Saving and reading setting parameter files
- You can save setting parameter files separately from geometry data.
- This should come in handy during system automations like linking with opimization softwares.
JMAG-Express Quick mode
- Evaluate basic motor properties by simply entering parameters - Just enter the geometry template, materials, winding, and drive conditions as parameters.
Evaluate torque, efficiency, loss, and inductance properties with a graph or numerically
- Revolution speed vs. torque properties, iron loss/copper loss properties, etc. are instantaneously displayed in a graph.
- Motor properties can be viewed in a machine constant table.
3. JMAG-Express Online
JMAG-Express Online is a parameter-based motor design support tool.
The Web version of JMAG-Express, which can compute basic motor characteristics in 1 sec, has finally arrived!
It is possible to obtain in an instant the startup voltage constant, torque constant, inductance characteristics, current vs torque characteristics, rotation speed vs torque characteristics, iron loss/copper loss characteristics, etc. merely by inputting a geometry template, materials, windings, and drive conditions.
Because JMAG-Express Online can be used with tablets and smartphones, you can design motors anytime, anywhere, on the go or at home. See more
- Extract motor characteristics in an instant
- Evaluate torque, efficiency, loss, and inductance characteristics with graphs and numerical values
- Define geometries with templates
- Geometry sizing
- Design a Motor in 5 Minutes
JMAG-RT generates a high fidelity plant model. Since the model is still numerically based, it can solve very quickly. And since it is based on Finite Element Model results, it will not sacrifice accuracy to achieve this calculation speed. The JMAG-RT plant model can be used in system level simulations to provide a more accurate representation of the electromagnetic device. The JMAG-RT block can be used in Hardware in the Loop Simulations (HILS) which connect a physical Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to a virtual motor. See more
- Using a virtual device model in the HILS means that it is possible to test the ECU while the device is still under construction. This can reduce the amount of test time necessary on the actual test bench.
- Conceal information about geometries or materials so it can be shared between business companies.
- The JMAG-RT model captures device performance that includes non-linear effects, saturation, and space harmonics. This high fidelity modelfs response is nearly identical to the actual devicefs response.
- The motor models used in system simulation utilize the conventional simple model (dq model) that generally disregards motor details. However, traditional dq models cannot describe modern-day high-performance motors.
- Although, FEA accurately simulates motor behavior unlike dq models, it requires a great deal of analysis time.
- JMAG-RT delivers a rapid system simulation accounting for motor characteristics “like finite element method”.
- Also, the level of detail can be increased by measuring actual machines, but doing so will reduce the value as Model Based Development. Being able to evaluate prior to obtaining an actual machine is highly significant from the perspective of simulation.
5. JMAG-RT Viewer
The JMAG-RT Viewer is an application to increase the usability of motor models created using JMAG-RT. The motor models created using JMAG-RT (JMAG-RT models) can be used in control simulators such as Simulink to reproduce phenomena including the nonlinear characteristics and torque variations of motors.
Speed versus torque curves and efficiency maps can be created by specifying the control mode for the JMAG-RT model in the JMAG-RT Viewer. Creating an efficiency map regardless of whether measured or obtained as analysis results is an extremely laborious considering the multitude of measurements/calculations and data that needs to be processed. However, the contents of the JMAG-RT motor model can be confirmed without utilizing the model in Simulink. Control designers can gain a overview of the motor features easily and motor designers can confirm the motor characteristics of their designs. See more